2014 in 14 Outfits
14 Trends 2014 Brought to My WardrobeCulottes; The Return of the Gypsy Top; The Blanket Cape; The Pep HemGingham; The Pastel Midi Skirt; The Designer Parody Tee; Sheer MayhemRunning Shoes + Suits; The Pink Biker; The Return of the Mule; The Teddy Bear Fur CoatPearls Go Large; The New Embellished Sunnies
Looking Back and Moving Forward
OK, so if 2013 was all about discovering the joys of "opening doors" and "just doing it", I think I did a pretty good job of keeping it up in 2014 - alongside my continuing thespian activities, signing up for the ice skating course I'd been dying to take for the previous 15 years, taking up beginners' gymnastics despite never having managed a passable cartwheel, and giving pole dancing and meditation a whirl. Less than a week into 2015, I'm already recovering from a day of aerial "taster" classes (well worth it, even if my legs are black and blue and fingers swollen up like sausages), and looking forward to giving skiing a bash at my local dry slopes next weekend... and the to-do list continues to grow! Next summer should mark a turning point for me, one way or another, when my 2-year acting course ends, but, aside from hopefully having mastered underwater somersaults, what will have befallen me a year from now is largely a mystery...
14 Things I Did in 2014 Which Would Have Shocked "2013" Me
- A one-legged upward bow/full wheel.
- A no-handed dive roll.
- A fireman's jump.
- And a fireman's spin.
- Ice skated backwards.
- And on one foot (at least for a few seconds).
- And jumped on ice (several millimetres).
- Wore mules.
- Played Alice in Wonderland... and Jesus... at the same time.
- And got crucified on stage.
- Had half my hair cut off.
- Acquired a Mr Muses.
- Gave up alcohol for 46 days.
- Wore a suit with trainers.
Revisiting Last Year's Resolutions:
- Update "master plan", including regular time slots for hair/beauty/DIY/photographic experimentation, playing the piano and stretching (so as to progress a little, ahem, further with last year's ongoing resolutions) alongside steps towards my bigger goals, and, of course, blogging.
- Result: Master plan gradually became more acting- and "new skills"-focused (i.e. prancing on ice/forward rolling), but, despite a brief intermission early on in the year, I kept the blog going, and maintained a healthy influx of new "material" (i.e. fedoras, coats, playsuits...) Piano and split stretching? Err... not so much.
- Result: Success!
- Result: Yes! Unprecedented levels of tidiness and organisation reigned this year...
- Result: Yes - possibly time to be slightly more ambitious with this one now...
- Result: Yes. Broken only for the purposes of cultural self-improvement, e.g. midnight Shakespeare matinees at The Globe.
- Result: Yep.
- Result: Yep.
- Result: Yep - well, plucked up the courage to try a greater number of new things than during previous 28 years combined.
- Result: An early success - additionally, acquired outerwear in shades including (but not limited to) orange, yellow, burgundy, blue, lime, dogtooth...
- Result: Yes! Well maybe not quite "whenever possible", but still...
This Year's Resolutions:
- Try out the following:
- Aerial Hoop (tick)
- Trapeze (tick)
- Aerial Silks (tick)
- Skiing (soon to be ticked...)
- Synchronised Swimming
- Execute a perfect handstand...
- And cartwheel...
- And back walkover.
What were your favourite 2014 trends? Are you making any resolutions for 2015..?