Monday 23 September 2013

Review: Daisy Street Mom Jeans

Following weeks of hope, prayer and cross-country wailing, Daisy Street's stocks of their sell-out Grayce mom jeans were finally replenished recently, with a frantic 2am transaction securing me the last acid wash pair in my size! Since I'd already tried out the Topshop versions for research purposes, I thought I may as well give you my thoughts on how these measure up...

In terms of fit, I'd say these come up quite small - significantly smaller than the Topshop versions (which I know are generally considered a small fit themselves), so, if you're unsure, curvy of hip or thigh, or between sizes, definitely size up (my Daisy Street disco pants are size 8; these are size 10). They're also cut fairly slim for mom jeans - slightly relaxed rather than baggy and oversized - personally, I quite like the more streamlined feel, although, in an ideal world, I'd have an oversized pair too. What did scare me at first, though, was the effort it took to squeeze my heels through the tiny ankle holes!! Thankfully, they soon loosened up sufficiently... however, I did find it a little strange that the turn-ups are actually sewn up (the probable cause of the heel issue)! You could quite easily unpick the stitches if you wished, but, since they are still long enough to tuck into boots come winter (I've turned them up once or twice more for the pictures below), I am leaving mine alone for now. They sit slightly higher on the waist than the Topshop versions, which I like, and I believe they are also slightly longer, even with the enforced turn-ups, which may make them more cold-weather-friendly.

My pair appear slightly darker than the image on the website, with the acid wash less pronounced than I expected - however, the actual shade is very "wearable", and not at all disappointing.

The denim is very thick, much like the Topshop versions. It takes some time to get used to the unwieldiness of "real" jeans after so many years spent living in stretch fabrics, but, once you do, they're pretty comfortable... If you're after the '90s look, they definitely feel authentic! Actually, the first thing that struck me when I tried these on was how much they reminded me of something I would have worn a decade ago... Swap the heels and hi-tops for Adidas Superstars, turn down the turn-ups and these photos could be of me at 16! Is anyone else over 25 struck by a faint sense of ridiculousness at the notion of clamouring for the very things we threw off en masse when Britney Spears introduced us to the excitement of thong-flashing in elasthane-enhanced denim-hybrids? Back in the dim and distant past when "mom jeans" were simply known as "jeans"... In any case, this realisation doesn't in any way diminish my excitement at finally getting my hands on these, or my enthusiasm for trying them out with every other item in my wardrobe!

Hi-Lo

Sam Muses, UK Fashion Blog, London Style Blogger, Daisy Street, Grayce High Waisted Mom Jeans, Acid Wash, '90s Style, Primark, F&F, Cartoon Print, Crop Top, Boohoo, White Shoes, Courts, Heels, Styling Ideas, How to Wear, Outfit Ideas

Sam Muses, UK Fashion Blog, London Style Blogger, Daisy Street, Grayce High Waisted Mom Jeans, Acid Wash, '90s Style, Primark, Side View, Profile, Cartoon Print, Crop Top, Boohoo, White Shoes, Courts, Heels, Styling Ideas, How to Wear, Outfit Ideas
Jeans: Daisy Street, Top: Primark, Blazer: F&F, Shoes: Boohoo

Varsity Casual

Sam Muses, UK Fashion Blog, London Style Blogger, Daisy Street, Grayce High Waisted Mom Jeans, Acid Wash, '90s Style, Topshop, Geek Tee, T-Shirt, Crop Top, Monochrome, Wedge High Tops, Varsity, Sports Luxe, Styling Ideas, How to Wear, Outfit Ideas

Sam Muses, UK Fashion Blog, London Style Blogger, Daisy Street, Grayce High Waisted Mom Jeans, Acid Wash, '90s Style, Topshop, Geek Tee, T-Shirt, Crop Top, Monochrome, Wedge High Tops, Varsity, Sports Luxe, Styling Ideas, How to Wear, Outfit Ideas, Baseball Jacket, Leather Sleeves, Contrast
Jeans and Jacket: Both Daisy Street, Top: Topshop, Trainers: River Island


Have you welcomed mom into your wardrobe?


Follow Me:

 Follow Me On Bloglovin’RSS FeedFacebookInstagramPinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment